.girasoles.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

.freedom festival.

FREEDOM FESTIVAL: 20 years of freedom
My new coat is soaked through. My hair mattes in a wet clump at my shoulders, and I'm really wishing I'd made a better shoe selection. Why did socks not seem like a wise decision in 35-degree weather? But as the crowds start to scatter and I exit the Berlin Subway, my eyes soak in the celebration and the focus on my own discomfort dissolves. I'm standing directly in front of the Brandenburg gate. It's illuminated beautifully and the square is so full of excitement that I know looking back on photos will never fully capture the experience. The smell of spiced wine and sausage overwhelms your senses, and as the primary-colored umbrellas trot along, they temporarily block your view from the various ages and nationalities flooding the square. It's the 20-year celebration of the Berlin wall coming down, and the enthusiasm is contagious.
One woman in particular catches my eye. She's hunched over and shuffles through the crowds clutching an umbrella in one hand and her cane in the other. Periodically glancing at her son, she mumbles something in German and let's out a hearty laugh before wiping her brow with her sleeve and continuing on. Soon she'll find herself as wet as I am, but she doesn't seem to mind. I suspect this celebration represents something more personal and wonderful to her than I could ever imagine, and it doesn't appear as if she'll let a little cold and inconvenient rain get in her way. After all, she's walked through worse.
Men and women of all ages fill Pariser Platz and cause my mind to race in 100 different directions. My team of 10 has been in Berlin for 3 weeks now, trembling our way through holocaust museums, concentration camps, and paths where the Berlin Wall once stood, overwhelmed by the struggles that have plagued this country for so long. As we toured Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, I couldn't help but wonder if I would have had the strength to endure such hardship. Regardless, I currently find myself surrounded by thousands of people who had family willing to endure and those who were willing to endure themselves.
It makes me want to be a fighter. It makes me want to push through hardship with a smile on my face and a song in my heart just because I know that I serve the Most High God, The King of Kings, and the Alpha and Omega. It reminds me that sacrifice occurs with nothing in return. So, I sacrificed nothing to come on this journey. I just obeyed. It makes me see how hard certain people fought for freedom, and how much harder I should be pulling and praying for it considering this freedom is eternal.
So, as my mind shifts back to the festival, I watch the giant dominos begin to topple over. Cheers rise up from the crowd and I watch a country unified. I'm inspired by their willingness to laugh again. I'm challenged by their perseverance, and I'm grateful the young people recognize how blessed they are to have this day to celebrate. I pray I remember this moment and let it challenge me in the future. May it remind me of the beauty of freedom and how Christ alone releases the captives.

No comments:

Post a Comment